YouTube challenges TikTok with monetisation for Shorts creators
Social Media Platforms

YouTube challenges TikTok with monetisation for Shorts creators

Jennifer Adetoro
Jennifer Adetoro

It appears YouTube has cracked the code once again when it comes to paying creators. Officially setting itself up as TikTok’s biggest threat, YouTube announced a new way for creators to earn ad revenue on its short-form offering, Shorts.

Starting in 2023, eligible Shorts creators will be able to earn 45% of the revenue generated from ads that run between Shorts videos. Each creator will then be paid based on their share of total Shorts views. However, creators must have a minimum of 1,000 subscribers and have amassed at least 10 million views in the previous 90 days to qualify for the program.

Revenue from the ads will also cover the costs of music licensing, allowing creators who use music in their content to get paid for their videos under the ad-revenue sharing program. And although YouTube says the money going towards music licensing will not affect the creator’s earnings, some, like content creator and author John Green, have pointed out that the 45% will actually be split between creators and record labels, and YouTube will take the remaining 55%.

Regardless, the announcement marks a significant shift in the battle of short-form and could pose a serious threat to TikTok. The app has already received backlash from creators who have struggled to make money from TikTok’s Creator Fund. And if creators can make more money on Shorts, then this just might see history repeat itself with creators flocking to YouTube as they did in 2016 triggering Vine’s demise.

Read more on YouTube’s blog here.

Your weekly round up of the latest industry news and platform updates collated by Digital Voices’ Strategy and Insights team.

YouTube introduces Creator Music

The new feature will offer creators access to a catalogue of music to use in long-form videos with the option to buy the licence or share video revenue with rights holders.

Read more here.

Twitch changes revenue split

In 2023, the streaming platform will be cutting its revenue share with bigger creators from what was originally a 70/30 split to 50/50.

Read more here.

TikTok to ban political fundraising

The short-form app is introducing restrictions that will make it harder for politicians and political groups to raise money on the platform.

Read more here.

Meta adds new tools to discover creators

This includes Rising Creator Labels to discover emerging creators and Creator Endorsement to recommend creators through notifications.

Read more here.

YouTube adds Shorts reply option

Following in the footsteps of TikTok and Instagram, YouTube has added a new option to create a video clip reply to comments.

Read more here.

Spotify introduces Audiobooks

Users in the US are now able to purchase and listen to more than 300,000 audiobook titles, from major publishers including Penguin Random House.

Read more here.

TikTok is the latest app to copy BeReal 

Called TikTok Now, the BeReal-inspired feature allows users to capture what they’re doing in the moment using their front and back cameras.

Read more here.

Other headlines…

Twitch bans users from streaming unlicensed gambling content (Read more here)

Meta launches Collaborative Ads on Facebook for local delivery (Read more here)

TikTok partners with Penguin Random House to tag titles in videos (Read more here)

Amazon’s live radio Amp launches new Creator Fund (Read more here)

Up next
Recommended insights for you

Contact us

Digital Voices is committed to protecting your privacy, and we’ll only use your personal information to provide the services you requested. We would like to contact you with industry insights, news and reports.

You can unsubscribe from these communications at any time. For more information on how to unsubscribe and privacy policies, please review our Privacy Policy.

By clicking submit above, you consent to allow Digital Voices to store and process the personal information submitted above to provide you the content requested.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.